Sunday, July 4, 2010

13 Questions with MyMiserys: Lisa Morton




1. How old were you when you wrote what you consider your first story?

The first real story was a comedic piece I wrote in junior high; I was
probably 14. My English teacher thought it was so good that -
unbeknownst to me at the time - he submitted it to a local creative
writing magazine. They actually took it, so it was also my first sale.

2. What inspired you to write it?

It was a parody of teen social mores - stuff I just saw every day. And
this was even before the era of John Hughes!

3. What was the first book you wrote?

My first book was THE CINEMA OF TSUI HARK. Before that I'd only
written screenplays and short stories. I came to novel writing late in
life (and that, by the way, is one of my few regrets).







4. Of all the books you've written, which is your favorite?

Probably the first novel I wrote, which hasn't been published yet. My
agent is shopping it now (as the first in a trilogy). I'm also quite
proud, though, of THE CASTLE OF LOS ANGELES, since it's the first of
my novels to be published.

5. Which book would you like to forget you wrote?

I'm not sure I'd really like to forget anything I wrote. There are
several awful movies that bear my name, but hey - I'm not embarrassed
by my first drafts (which bear very little resemblance to the finished
movies), and the checks cleared the bank.

6. Who is the most influential person in your life?

Probably my mom. She always encouraged me to be a writer, and she
loves horror!











7. Who is your favorite author?

Philip K. Dick.

8. If you could only own one book, what would it be?

Hmmm...can I have a set? I might go for the full 13-volume edition of
Frazer's THE GOLDEN BOUGH, because I love folklore. However, if I was
choosing a work of fiction, it would probably be Dick's UBIK.

9. When and where do you write?

I sprawl on my couch with a laptop (like I'm doing right now!).
Evenings are best for me, and the later the better. I am SO not a
morning person!

10. Do you have a "day job?"

Yep, and I love it - I work at one of the last great used bookstores
in Southern California.











11. Do you have a "dream job?"

I've got two - and I currently work at both! Strangely enough, I once
thought my dream job was film director, but now I'd never want that
job. I've spent enough time working on sets to see all the ways movies
go wrong, and I'm convinced it's just the hardest thing in the world
to make a decent movie. I've directed theater that went horribly wrong
despite my best efforts, and it's just too heartbreaking.

12. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?

Where I live now. I'm a rare native Los Angeleno, and I really love my
city; even after spending a lifetime here, I know there are still huge
chunks of L.A. that I've yet to discover. I do have to say that I
recently visited friends in Bath, England, for the first time, though,
and I fell in love with that city, so that would be my second choice.

13. What is your guilty pleasure?

I'm not sure I'm really guilty about anything I do! But I do know that
I have a bad tendency to give away too much of my time to helping
other writers, whether it's through my work for HWA (mainly as the
treasurer) or being co-founder and member of the Dark Delicacies
Writing Group. I really do love helping other writers, but it's kept
me away from my own work far too much.

--MyMiserys (aka Kimberly Cook)

(The Black Glove wishes to thank Lisa for her time and efforts. Visit Lisa at her official website here.)