Monday, June 27, 2011

The Horror Playlist: Bud Ammons

One of the people who has influenced since childhood is my cousin, Bud Ammons. Like myself, he grew up in a mind-numbingly small backwards little Southern town (me in Yulee, Florida, and him in Ponce De Leon, Florida), where he found escape through music, first as a fan and then as a musician. Me and my little brother's highlight of summer visits to my mama's hometown of PDL was getting to hangout with Buddy, our favorite cousin, hands down.
Since those long ago days, he has moved to California, gotten married to his highschool sweetheart, and played in several bands through the years, some more successful than others, but always crowd pleasing professionals, with a well rounded musical background.
Which describes Buddy to a tee.
It's easy enough to see his influence on my own musical taste even in the snapshot top 10 below.
When I asked him to give me this list, I figured, like we have for years, his list would probably be pretty close to my own. And I was right. Three of the ten songs he has in heavy rotation are also in my top 20 at the moment...in heavy rotation. Weird, huh?
He still continues to influence me, after all these years, and I thank God every day for having had him in my life.
Check out his ever changing, ever evolving top 10 songs...



10. BAD COMPANY- 5 FINGER DEATH PUNCH





9. CLOSER TO THE EDGE- 30 SECONDS TO MARS





8. BRING ME TO LIFE- EVANESCENCE





7. SLITHER- VELVET REVOLVER





6. SHOW ME HOW TO LIVE- AUDIOSLAVE





5. MR. BROWNSTONE- GUNS N' ROSES





4. VERTIGO- U2





3. THE SWEETEST TABOO- SADE





2. MY CURSE- KILLSWITCH ENGAGE





1. FOREVER FREE- W.A.S.P.



--(Thanks to my cuz, Bud Ammons, for the top 10 this month. Check out more of our shared musical tastes on his Facebook Group page, Rock/Blues/Metal Feedback.)